earth abbey is an inspired project/vision/network. here's what they say about themselves...
EarthAbbey is a movement of people helping one another to live more in tune with the earth. We work to promote
- A rich relational life between human beings
- A compassion toward the earth and its creatures
- A sense of interconnectedness of all life
- Wisdom and justice in relationships
- Human fulfilment and the nurture of the inner life
- A way of living that leaves the earth better than we found it
Our inspiration derives from Jesus of Nazareth whose life and mission was to bring about a peace which embraces all creation. We pursue a life-affirming, creative spirtuality that is open to all. EarthAbbey is more than a website. It is a movement of people and you are invited to join.
one of the projects they are encouraging is growzones. it's a very simple idea - getting a small community group together to either develop a community garden/allotment or to develop one another's gardens to grow food. we actually do this with an allotment anyway and certainly find it easier and more fun to do in a group but it is good to see it being encouraged. there is a web site and kit to get you started if you need help. a group is starting in oxford soon...