[this is part of a series of blog posts on art in holy week - see also
- art in holy week day two: raised in leeds
- art in holy week day three: the create project
- art in holy week day four: the easter story engedi arts
- art in holy week day five: soul of sheffield
- art in holy week day six: stations of the king's cross
- art in holy week day seven: noesis
- art in holy week day eight: the resurrection ]
there is so much creativity around at the moment taking art engaging in sme way with the christian story and performing it or letting it loose in public space. i thought i would try and mention one piece/exhibit each day through holy week and see how it goes...
day 1: the lent cross delarosa
so first up is the lent cross put in the middle of the north lanes in brighton by beyond . this is a transparent perpsex cross with small holes through which people can post thoughts on what they could and couldn't live without. each week there is a gathering to share bread and wine. their blog tells how it has been unscrewed, kicked around and smashed but is being put back together. so it's now a cross that rather than being clean and perfect now bears the scars of its mistreatment, a sign of the suffering god on the via delarosa.
if you know of creative art installations and exhibitions please leave a comment...